Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Monday, April 10, 2006

What UP, Chef?

This may be old news, but I just thought about it. What was Issac Hayes' trip with leaving South Park? He said the show was insensitive to Scientology, which happens to be his religion du jour, as well as being insensitive to other religions. So, he quits what was a hell of a gig. I mean, one HELL of a gig! Brothaman!

Now, I haven't seen EVERY episode of South Park, but from the few dozen I have seen, I'm going to go out on a limb and surmise that this show doesn't have a sensitive pore on its smelly body. I think South Park set expectations early with the Jesus Vs. Santa Claus episode: "This is not the show to watch if you want anything appropriate said about anything, including religious and societal icons and beliefs." They topped it off by introducing a talking piece of shit, essentially saying "Oh yeah, almost forgot--we are going to really stretch the limits of absurdity too!" So, add in children cursing, getting involved in very mature situations, and even one kid getting brutally killed in each episode and you have the complete sordid, offensive, vulgar, and goddammed hilarious show called South Park.

What's interesting is that Hayes himself was even involved in the salacious and disrespectful mix. He helped mightily with the skewering of black folks, diving headlong into stereotypical behaviour, such as overt sexuality (remember "Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls?). And, also, there was that episode that, among other things, played on ebonics. Remember when Chef's parents came to visit and Chef's dad told that story about the Loch Ness Monster? Chef's dad thought he was facing a beast, but it turns out the monster was just a panhandler who asked him, in full-on black diction: "Say, you got three-fitty?" Brotha Issac, if you think about it, that cartoon is written by two white guys. If you could be involved in that sort of lampooning of blacks, coming from white guys, then, man, I'd say you get the joke and that you like the joke. Hand slaps all around.

So, why the turnaround now? I have my suspicions about Scientology. I wonder if some Scientology goons got to Issac and spent an inordinate amount of time talking about how well he walks and how very terrible it would be if he were to develop kneecap issues. Or, maybe Issac is getting some hot chocolate sex from some Scientology babe who threatened to lock up her zipper if he doesn't defend the religion and quit the show. Men do some stupid shit for sex. I know this. As infrequently as I get sex, I am prone to do some real water-headed things to get it. So, brotha Issac, I don't blame you for that one.

But, still, what really happened? I ain't mad at ya, Chef, I just am going to miss ya! I ain't hatin', I'm showing some love here! Damn!
Elliot, 10:05 AM

2 Back at me:

It's funny that Isaac quit around the time Rolling Stone published an article about Scientology...hmmm.... I buy your 'kneecaps' idea, and the sex idea. (Girls do some crazy shit to get sex too, and I may have to blogpost about that....)

"Chocolate salty balls" is STILL a catch-phrase in our house. They is good eatin'.
Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 10:15 AM  
"So, we shouldn't be mad at Chef for leaving us. We should be mad at that stupid fruity club."

Truer words were never spoken.
Blogger Pandora Wilde, at 4:21 PM  

Say sump-tun