Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Quarterfinals

So, yeah, we're getting a new quarter dollar in 2007. Our fair state of Washington, as well as Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, are up for the next new state-oriented quarter and Washingtonians just recently voted for just what the new quarter was going to be. Now, I didn't do the necessary reading a responsible voter should do, so I never quite understood, or even knew, the political platforms of the competing quarters before I voted.

Here were our choices (click it for a larger graphic, for those who really care):



And the winner was.....Quarter Number 2 (I got it wrong in an earlier post--misread the site--needed more caffiene). I personally liked Number 2 because Number 1 seemed too stately, too formal, too much like something all official and somewhat unnatural with the salmon clearly out of its element and sitting next to a bunch of apples, which it would only probably be seen sitting next to if the salmon was on a dinner plate, which isn't how we want to think of salmon, at least not as a state symbol. Number 2 seemed much more natural, but, sadly,it has no apples. And, we need to push the apples here because we grow way too many and, by the way, if you ever visit Washington state, please, PLEASE take a case of apples back with you, if you have a shred of mercy in your soul. We are loaded with apples. We've got them stacked up to the sky, as Quarter 1 artistically implies.

Number 3 was right out. I liked the depiction of an orca (aka, killer whale, but, shhh, don't call them killer whales around here--not PC), which represents the authentic artistic style of Northwestern Native American tribes, but I think that folks from some other states won't get it and may be seriously creeped out by it. I think we pushed it with that Seahawk logo, so we should go easy on you for the quarter.

Of course, my rapidly deteriorating mind came up with The Dumb Question of the Day when I first saw these designs (I actually really did ask myself this question):

"Okay, I see what they want to put on the back of the quarter, but, what are they going to put on the front?"

(Pause to reflect on the sound of my brain flushing...)

Duh. Oh yeah.

I recovered quickly and realized that, with George "The only President named George that we can be proud of" Washington on the front, and the symbols of Washington STATE on the back, our state will have, in one swoop, taken over the entire quarter dollar for ourselves. The Great Northwest Revolution has begun, folks. Coffee for everyone! And, all you can eat apples.
Elliot, 9:39 AM

1 Back at me:

I also like number 2 the best...it has clean lines. Number 1 is just hella busybusybusy.

I'll trade you a case of apples for a case of cherries. We grow the majority of sour cherries in the nation, for pie and so forth. Our local grocery chain carries boxes of dried cherries, 4 lbs or so, for $20. OMG, it's like eating summer, without the cherry juice running down your arm!
Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 12:22 PM  

Say sump-tun