Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Monday, May 15, 2006

Two "What the Hecks?"


First, my Novelty Purchase of the Week. I present to you bacon Band-Aids (well, they're not the TRADEMARKED Band-Aids, but just like we can say "Kleenex" to mean any "facial tissue," and "Q-Tips" to mean any "cotton swab" and "Haliburton" to mean any "leeching, underhanded corporate entity taking full advantage of favoritism due to connections to wealthy and powerful society and government figures" we can say "Band-Aid" to mean any "adhesive strip"). I didn't even get these from a gag store, but right from a local supermarket that otherwise sells very unfunny health items such as Preparation H.

I suppose bacon Band-Aids harks back to the days when our great-great grandmothers used to treat the young-uns' minor scrapes and cuts by laying a slab of bacon over the wound, providing much the same relief as did laying a sirloin over a blackened eye. Major lacerations or puncture wounds must have called for more advanced topical remedies, like whole turkeys.

And, of course, the "free" toy inside was a tiny plastic pig; a simple, but poignant reminder of the true source of bacon's healing powers.

You can, however, get these bacon strips at gag stores, as I found out later. I would still recommend getting Preparation H-type medication from the regular store, though. Even less funny than Preparation H is garlic and cayenne-laced gag Preparation H.

Second, what the heck are those Blogger sites where the entries are just gibberish, just composed of random phrases run together that make no sense, and that go on down the page for many scrollings of the scroller (Okay--I just heard someone say: "Why, that would be YOUR blog, Jeremiah!" Ha ha--very funny. It is to laugh. Ha ha Hell). But, really. I've stumbled upon such sites as With the Disease Are, which is a perfect example of these types of blogs.

Now, that title is somewhat clever, but there's nothing going on in that prose except what my college philosophy professer used to sound like to me on a Monday morning. Are these a big joke? Are these some kind of bots that are pulling random phrases from all over the web and making blog entries out of them? What's the purpose? Are these coded instructions for some heinous act? Or, is this some experiment akin to the monkeys in a room with a typewriter where, eventually, all of these random phrases will gel into something that wins the Pulitzer Prize? Don't know, but there are a lot of them. Anybody know what they are?
Elliot, 12:44 AM

2 Back at me:

I've seen those bandaids in our local grocery store too! We haven't bought them yet, but I DID let the kids buy a box of chocolate 'bandaids'.

Girl-child gave me half a dozen small plastic pigs for Christmas (with various hats and clothing), and for mother's day I got a set of corn-on-the-cob holders in the shapes of pigs front and hind quarters. I must get those bacon bandaids and continue the 'piggy' theme!
Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 12:26 PM  
you always know how to make me laugh... :)))

went to that blog site, nothing came up... darn!

if not a whole turkey, then perhaps a small armadillo?
Blogger ipodmomma, at 11:16 PM  

Say sump-tun