Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Dispatch from Florida, Part 1

We're vacationing in Florida. No, Did-ney World is not in the plans. I'm visiting the in-laws. Here I'll post my daily findings:

Had frog legs last night, the first time in a year. The interesting thing about frogs legs is that they look just like frogs' legs. You pick one up and you can bend the joints just like they used to bend while they were still on the frog. You can provide minutes of entertainment to the kids by making the frogs legs jump across the plate and then into your mouth. And, yes, they taste like chicken, but like chicken breast more than chicken leg and yet are far more entertaining than chicken legs. I also had a bowl of crawdads, or "mudbugs" with Old Bay spice on them. For you who haven't seen a bowl of crawdads, the word "bugs" is quite appropos. I've heard that crustaceans and insects are not too far apart on the evolutionary chain. To see a bowl of crawdads, a bowl that is larger than my head, that is, makes you believe that you are looking at a gaggle of bugs, should bugs be so inclined to form gaggles.

Speaking of bugs, this is the land of mosquitoes. I have been in the Great Northwest for 14 years and have been bitten by mosquitoes about once a year, on average. Down here, on an hourly basis, I am in danger of being completely consumed by mosquitoes, in convenient bug-bite-sized pieces. And, as learned from my growing up in the South years, I have particularly mosquito-friendly blood. Once I get bitten, the lucky mosquito apparently spreads the news throughout the mosquito community that there is a stepping piece of filet mignon at whatever mosquito coordinates they've figured out, and to begin attack manouvers immediately. Within five minutes, I have more bumps than pores. I tried Off, but I have to take a bath in the stuff for it to be effective because, if I miss so much as a square centimeter of skin, then that's where I get ten thousand bites. I went out and got some citronella candles and that keeps them off, that is, if I surround myself with about a dozen candles and end up looking like I'm performing some sort of satanic poolside ritual.

But there is sun. And, as those from my corner of the world know, sunshine is a massage, a gentle kiss in when you don't expect it, and a lovely gift of heart-warm.

Oh, but there's more...
Elliot, 4:19 AM

2 Back at me:

I can just see you sitting, legs crossed, arms open to the sky, surrounded in mosquito-be-gone candles... by the pool-side!

Hillarious!

Not so,however, of the bites. My Dad was mysteriously blessed with bugs-no-likey-my-blood syndrome.

I, on the other hand, am tasty.

*sigh*
Blogger Turtle Guy, at 1:55 PM  
So sorry to hear about the mosquito bites. Nasty things, those.

The frog leg description was morbidly revolting... but not moreso than a certain post I read a long time ago about chicken skin sandwiches...
Blogger Sarah Elaine, at 8:53 PM  

Say sump-tun