Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Friday, August 18, 2006

Broken Singing

So, here's my contribution to Poetry Friday, in honor of the word "broken". It's a song I wrote yesterday (but, I've been working on the riff for a couple of days now) and it's in demo mode and, as a warning, I can't play guitar or sing. So, it's mercifully short.

It's kind of hard to hear the words, so here they are:

I really want you to come over
and hear what my soul releases.
I need you to help me forget
that I'm broken in a thousand pieces.

I'm all broken now.
But I'm trying to get it together.
I'm all broken now.
But I won't be broken forever.

(Repeat)
Elliot, 9:45 AM

7 Back at me:

Whoaaaaa...! That's got me feelin'...all Nick Drake-y, or maybe it's Elliot Smith...somethin' acoustic and rainy-day-ish, which is my favorite -ish. I love how you use words, the 'broken' just aching for some sort of soul-glue and a spatula to smooth down the rough edges. Wow. I'm stunned. I wish I had musical ability like that.

Yeah, man, you got mad music skills..let's make lots of money!
Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 11:02 AM  
Wow. I wasn't going to comment today 'cause i didn't want you to think i'm some kind of needy stalker.
But, that was really a cool audio bit, and you wrote it yourself, and sang and played the guitar. I like it. It did sound like Nick Drake. Do it some more.
I'm glad you aren't broken into a million little pieces though, because then you would have to get broken on TV by Oprah.
Blogger meno, at 12:14 PM  
M and M: You know (hanging head), I'd never listened to Nick Drake. So, I fired up Rhapsody and took a listen... Ya'll--that's a mighty comparison--that guy is amazing. I'm not worthy! But, if nothing else, I've found a great new influence.

Thanks for your words, and for the musical lesson for the day, which will last for a few thousand more days.
Blogger Elliot, at 2:26 PM  
...kinda like a broken soul on the mend. Nice.
Blogger Turtle Guy, at 10:20 PM  
You've got a voice like caramel - think and rich. Nice.
Blogger Sarah Elaine, at 4:55 PM  
Wow - if that's what you call not being able to play guitar, what do you call guitar playing?

Encore!
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman, at 9:49 PM  
Uh, oh. Now you all have done it. You've gone and encouraged me. Just exactly what latent showman needs.

Thanks, ya'll.
Blogger Elliot, at 11:09 AM  

Say sump-tun