Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Cliche' the Day Away

Irregardless of the rat race, I'm putting my feet up and popping a cold one. Why? Because this is the first day of the rest of my life and I'll be a monkey's uncle if I let it all slip through my fingers. Just like mama used to say, if I snooze I lose, but, believe you me, I ain't sleeping on the job. On the contrary, I'm working for the weekend and nothing's going to stop me now. Oh, make no mistake, though, this rock has got to roll, but first, let me tell you, I'm going to look before I leap. I'm going to take a cold, hard look at my options and, as God is my witness, I'll keep my nose to the grindstone and, in the end, I'll come out smelling like roses!

But, before I get carried away, let me take a moment to thank those who've stood behind me through thick and thin. There's my old man, who toughened me up, but good, and my mama, who really ran the house, then there's my boys, both of them go-getters and, I must admit, chips off the old block. Gimme five, kiddos! And, of course, last but definitely not least, there's my better half, who has put up with me more than she should and she deserves a bow and a round of applause. Here's to you, baby. You are my rock.

Alright. Give me a minute. I can't let you see a grown man cry.

How do I stay young, you ask? Well, I still get my jollies off my nine-to-fiver. I consider myself something of a self-made man, independent, but having a way with words, who takes no guff, and who does things the old-fashioned way. I've got the heart of an artist (in a jar by my bed!--Ha! That always gets 'em!) but I'm a blue-collar, lunch pail and hard hat guy when the chips are down. Yes sir. When it comes down to it, I'm a meat and potatoes man and since I bring home the bacon, I gotta swallow my pride and take it all one day at a time and count my blessings and try to put on a happy face, grin and bear it, and say "Good Morning Sunshine" to every day because, you never know when the jig is up and you get called to that big company meeting in the sky. Know what I mean?

Well, I should just shut my trap and let my actions do the talkin', huh? I mean, if you talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk, and words are cheap, so they say. So, it looks like the time has come for me to take the A train, cut and run, and go face the music.

Well, folks, as the old saying goes "Don't take no wooden nickels." Remember the good times. Don't let it get you down and, of all things, take it in stride. Age is just a number and you're only as old as you feel. Okay, ladies and gentlemen, I'm outta here, and I'm not letting the door hit me in the butt. Hasta la vista!
Elliot, 5:21 AM

1 Back at me:

This post...I laughed! I cried! Better than "Les Miz"! Four stars! Two thumbs up! You da man!
Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 8:05 AM  

Say sump-tun