Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Free Agent

So, here I was all prepared to write a post about the latest airline no-no concerning bringing gels and such as carry-ons. The post was going to have jokes involving, among other things, having problems getting Sen. Edward Kennedy and "body part augmentations" on board planes, and one joke was going to have a punchline that included "explosive diarrhea." Then, there was going to be some "but, seriously, folks" denouement about how airline security is a big deal and how we should grudgingly accept it all, and just secretly long for the day when we'll just all have to board a plane nekkid, and that would spur an idea about a new and exciting airline, and that would wrap everything up nicely and be a post to raise a half-grin about.

Instead, today, I found out that I have been laid off. No worries, I suppose. It's all business. A tech writer doesn't generate much revenue in a small company, so, in essence, my work is done there.

I now sit around and ponder my future, as millions before me have done. This is my second layoff in as many years, but this one is going to make me think a little harder about things. So, I assume the position of Rodin's famous sculpture (with a beer can in the non-chin-holding-up hand) and I ponder. You may just be lucky enough to participate in some of my ponderings.

"Broken" indeed.
Elliot, 2:02 PM

6 Back at me:

That's harsh. Ever so sorry. Hope something better comes along soon.
Might be time to pursue that musical career.
Blogger meno, at 2:44 PM  
I wish I had wise words for you. You are a man of many, many talents. Your writing by far surpasses that of most of us not only because of your obvious skill, also because you clearly pay attention to the world around you and you seem to care a great deal more than the average bear. It's quite obvious to me that you will have no problem securing employment in whatever area you choose - be it technical writing or something else within your sphere of skill, interest and ability.

Keep me and us posted.
Blogger Turtle Guy, at 4:07 PM  
my immediate reaction is a long stream of swear words.
that f'ing sucks!
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman, at 9:46 PM  
That sucks.

But did you say TECH WRITER? I had no idea that you were a TECH WRITER! (Should have guessed though!)

I did a stint as one of those a few years ago. Two words for you, good man: Independent contractor. I ran into people that made surprisingly big bucks doing that. I wasn't one of them, mind you... which probably explains why I'm back in school...

My spidey sense tells me you have a good head on those shoulders. Soon, this day will all be a memory.
Blogger Sarah Elaine, at 10:26 PM  
Oooh, so so sorry. Effing sucks, man. But, you're a smart man, you're a talented man, and I know you'll get something even better soon.... I like Sarah Elaine's idea...we have hired contract programmers in the past and paid them BIG BUCKS. "Contract" apparently is code for "Pay me lots of money."

I got my bloggy mojo workin' overtime for ya, man....
Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 6:31 AM  
All: Thanks for the support. This is something that gets crunchier every day. The weird thing is that I personally can handle it all with a smile and a martini, but when you lay off a family member, you actually lay off the whole family, so it's tha kidz that I am hurting for. I am developing a bit of a hate for corporations which, strangely enough, was how I felt back in my disoriented rebel days. Doing a "good job" means nothing, really, to the inc's, when the numbers come in.

I do want to write my own stuff for a living. Here's to getting there.
Blogger Elliot, at 7:49 AM  

Say sump-tun