Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Poetry Word O' The Week, and Some News

Hey. Okay, here is the Word of the Week, chosen only because it just came into my head one day and I said it over and over again and, for some reason, it softened me up and made me feel about 5 years old.

It's "broken".

Write, photograph, or draw about that word for this week's Friday exercise. Added points for writing a song about it and posting that, with teenage girls mouthing the words. I'll buy the CD if you post a rap about that word. I'll pay your gas for a year (and your bail) if you streak across the set of the Today show yelling that word and giving Matt Lauer a big smooch.

By the way, in the second biggest news story of the day (the biggest, to me, is always the fact that we are still in Iraq), the JonBenet Ramsey killer is caught. When I told my wife, she said the same thing I thought when I heard the news: "It wasn't the parents?" I wonder how many million people thought they did that to their daughter? It's not out of the realm of possibilities, certainly, seeing what some parents have done to their kids. But this case was marred by assumed guilt of the parents and it's a sad commentary on where our society has come that we can ("we" including myself) actually convince ourselves that a parent could do such a thing to their child, even if we have no proof. I feel like apologizing.
Elliot, 6:45 AM

5 Back at me:

That guy that confessed? I think he's lying, maybe so he can wear fetching prison garb. Check out this article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060817/ap_on_re_as/jonbenet_ramsey_57

I still think it was the parents, and that prolly makes me a bad person, but I can't ignore my gutt.
Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 7:32 AM  
I don't know what the truth is, but all those beauty pageants and make-up and etc on a 6 year old doesn't sit well w/me. That doesn't mean the parents had anything to do w/the murder, but i think it is creepy.

Broken. will have to think about that today.
Blogger meno, at 9:28 AM  
Mona: Yeah, my gut said the same thing. That's a hell of a thing to lie about, though. I'll just watch it all unfold. And, the alibi is interesting. This is a twisty-ass case.

Meno: You know, I thought the same thing, then I shuddered. I thought I was telling myself that, even though the parents may not have done it, that they were responsible in some sense for dolling thier daughter up so outrageously, and exposing her like they did. And, as you say, though maybe they didn't do it, they still sicken me.
Blogger Elliot, at 9:54 AM  
Sounds like a case of broken expectations to me. ;-)

It's funny, eh, how a killer of one overshadows the news of the killing of many... I'm not convinced that the former is actually more heinous than the latter.
Blogger Sarah Elaine, at 10:33 AM  
"Broken", hey? Sounds like a fitting theme for my pottery class last night! Not only that, Blogger seems to be "broken" too. I can't upload the photos of my "not broken" pot!

However, I will not be "broken"! I may even try my hand at some poetry this week... we'll see!
Blogger Turtle Guy, at 8:21 AM  

Say sump-tun