Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Q and A with Jeremiah

So, J, did you ever find a job?

Why, yes, I did. I started a contract-to-hire job with a small tech company just outside of town.

So, why are you not smiling?

Well, because, two days into the job, the Big Giant Software Giant called and offered me a job too.

Whoa! Cool!

Well, the small tech company was very happy to have me and their outgoing guy was spending his last two days training me on all the things he's done over the last four years, which no one else could train me on. People were grinning like mad that I was there.

So?

So, then the Big Giant Software Giant calls and, well, I'd be dumb as a rock to not accept the offer. In fact, I did accept the offer.

Uh oh. Now what?

Now I have to tell the small tech company that I'm going to have to jump the ship.

And...?

And that makes me feel like a louse. No, actually, it makes me feel like a six-foot-tall louse, with a Pittsburgh Steelers cap on. I'm leaving them in the lurch. They thought they had their replacement guy. Can you smell the smoke of bridges burning?

But, the Big Giant Software Giant is far more prestigious and represents the pinnacle of your career.

Yeah, well, I also feel like I've betrayed a company that put its trust in me.

So, you were laid off from the last two jobs you had, right?

Yeah.

Do you think maybe THEY betrayed the trust you had in them?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Well, but, two slaps upside the head DO make a lesson learned. You gotta play the game like they play the game, homie.

Those guys at the small tech company were really nice, though.

And so are you, nature boy.

There's no room for nice people in the corporate world, is there?

Nope, starry eyes. Good luck at the Big Giant Software Giant.

Elliot, 9:45 PM

8 Back at me:

Congratulations on the job! Well, jobs. Sorry you had to make that decision, but you gots to look out for you and yours.
Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 4:06 AM  
Super huge congratulations. Little Tech company might cry a tear or two, but they will survive and Mona's right. 'Cause when little tech company, as nice as they are runs into financial probs, they would do the same to you if they thought they had to. They might shed a tear, but still do the same.
Blogger Lynnea, at 7:12 AM  
Tough call, but precisely why I don't work the Corporate world. My BIL does, tries to work for the "common good", but projects get shut down or sabatoged by upper management slimeballs looking for personal promotion and seeking monitary gain.

You probably did make the right choice. Question is, will the "people experiences" be as rich?
Blogger Turtle Guy, at 10:13 AM  
conratulations on the new job. You'll get lots of ugly T-shirts for your trouble.
And i happen to know that you are not a 6 foot louse.
Blogger meno, at 12:35 PM  
So, J. Two days later are you still feeling terrible?

Are you still wiping off your shoes from the defication that must have hit the proverbial oscillator once you told your boss?

Did you party 'like it was on sale for 19.99' because of your new job this weekend?


Good for you.
Blogger Jenn, at 7:28 PM  
Last, are you going to think I'm a total moron for spelling defecation wrong?
Blogger Jenn, at 7:29 PM  
congrats on the job-thing. I pretty much did the same thing. You gotta do what's right for you.
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman, at 10:02 PM  
Mona: Yes, that's that bottom line. Me and mine, just like the compn'ys do.

Maggie: Thanks. Now, the hard part is calling the small tech company and trying to get them to pay me for the two days I screwed them!

Subaddoo: I actually did think of changing my mind and going with the littly guy. My Disney/Hollywood ending mind did speak up on that point.

TG: Corporations have their place, but it is like a mohair suit turned inside out for me. As for the people, well, the Giant does have its share of delightfully quirky people, so I might actually thrive socially. I am, in the end, an assimilator. Or, as one of my dearest, now departed friends described me, I have a certain "geometric simultanaeity".

Meno: Waking up as insects brings back some college memories, the discussions of Kafka into the night, the sudden disappearance of the Jack Daniels bottle and the hazy look of admiration from the skinny girl from down the hall.

Emma: I'm feeling a little better, though, the event has given me a bit of tuorettes. Whenever I think of what I did, I involuntarily curse. My kids are looking at me funny.

I think the defecation has lodged in some inaccessible places.

And, yes, I did party.

Teri: Yep. That's what gets me through. I just hope that, down the line, I never interview with any of those people. It's not out of the realm. Tis a small industry! Oh no, now I've scared myself...
Blogger Elliot, at 11:10 AM  

Say sump-tun