Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Can't Sleep

I can't sleep on the nights I work out. I don't get to the gym until around 10 and it closes at 11, so I slam myself and then, afterwards, stay wide awake. I only go to bed because I know I have to.

To caress the time, I go to look at my boys sleeping, watching those delicate chests rise and fall under the covers. Their dreaming faces are the picture of peace and I smile thinking that they feel so comfortable under this roof to fall asleep with their innocence on display. I wonder why I ever get mad at them. They are really just me repackaged. All my latent talents, all my arcane tendencies, all my hidden fears, all have become a Broadway production in my boys. I want to whisper an apology for giving them some of my faults, and I want to shake their hands for having the guts and ability to be ten times the artist/humorist/scholar/handsome dude than I ever was and will ever be.

The night is quiet, unsettlingly so. It's quiet enough that I wonder if my thoughts are leaking into the audible range. Maybe dogs on the block can hear my shrill synapses firing. I listen for a howl of understanding. I only get the whine of my hard drive, and the occasional deep breath of those sleeping guys of mine. I'm home. In more ways than one. That thought alone is what is going to finally get me to sleep.
Elliot, 12:46 AM

4 Back at me:

Wow - caressing time.
Blogger Lynnea, at 5:56 AM  
And they are also the reason that you can't have that week off.
This is beautiful.
Blogger meno, at 10:07 AM  
Such delightful words to describe your family. You are truly blessed to be home.
Blogger Turtle Guy, at 9:14 PM  
Beautiful!

Now go buy the a CD of nature sounds or "Om" medidation metronomes to play in the car or on your iPod on the way home.

Sleep is good.
Blogger Sarah Elaine, at 11:06 PM  

Say sump-tun