Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Musical Revelations, Part 6

Every now and then, I have little musical revelations that are probably new to only me. But, since I can't think of anything else to write about, I'll bug you with my "latest" revelations:

"Hotel California" is a reggae song!

Listen to the beat. It is the classic reggae "one drop" rhythm (or, as they say in the Isle of Springs, "riddim"). The skank (guitar stroke) is on 2 and 4 and there is a kick drum on 3. Classic reggae beat. The drum fills, the vocal phrasing, it's reggae! It just hit me on the freeway the other day. The Eagles were about 30 years ahead of me, as well as probably some of you. Also, now that I'm thinking about it, America's "Horse With No Name" would make a great reggae song itself. Somebody get on it.

"Deacon Blues" is a beatnik version of "American Pie"!

Taking nothing away from Don McLean's classic happysad sing-along, Steely Dan came up with a hipster, hipper version. It had all the components of "Pie": drinking booze, dying, and youthful enthusiasm and carefree-ness, and verses that may take years to memorize, but an instantly unforgettable chorus. It added a certain smarmy careless poet air, evoking images of smoky bars, crooked Kangols, slinky ladies with cigarettes, and self-important guys with goatees.

Blue Oyster Cult still holds up!

"Don't Fear the Reaper" remains scary (but still needs more cowbell). "Burning For You" is still on my top ten list of being one of the grooviest rock and roll tunes I've ever heard. I played "Joan Crawford" for the kids and they both told me it scared them too much to hear again.

Eminem is a(n evil) genius.

Yeah, okay, I lost you. But, man, the guy has a real talent for poetic rapping (I know, to some people, that's like saying that flies have a real talent for throwing up, as if you want to glorify throwing up). He curses horribly, is generally hateful, and even has what I think is one of the most violent, ugly songs I've ever heard (check out "97 Bonnie and Clyde" if you dare--I don't endorse that song, by the way), but just listen and be amazed by his cadence and pacing and exceptional internal rhymes, and not to mention intensity, in "Lose Yourself" and "The Way I Am" and "Stan" and you know you are hearing a gifted, albiet very messed up, young man.

I've been doing too much nostalgia lately, huh?
Elliot, 9:23 AM

4 Back at me:

Hotel California - yes, no question.
Deacon Blues - Does it have lyrics? :)
Blue Oyster Cult - i've heard of them.
Eminem - true, but what an ass.
Blogger meno, at 12:22 PM  
ever see The Stand? Don't Fear the Reaper is used at the beginning, one of my absolutely fave rock song in a movie bits... totally creepy in a really big brother kind of way....

btw... I loved the 'toons you mentioned, especially HK Phooey. I love Scatman Crothers!zuwglt
Blogger ipodmomma, at 1:10 PM  
Most interesting observations! I enjoyed this post!

I was sitting in a pub for lunch about three weeks back and heard a Raggae version of John Denver's classic "Country Roads". What struck me as odd was that lyrically, it didn't fit, but what a unique adaptation! When I think Raggae, I think coconuts, palm trees and dare I say... Rum. Not dusty old Country Roads.
Blogger Turtle Guy, at 2:38 AM  
Meno: Yep. He constantly sets new standards in public behavior, each one lower than the one before it.

Ipod: Hey you! Always glad to hear from you. And, that's right. The voice was Scatman, wasn't it? And, I guess he wasn't so nasally, but rather "gravelly."

S: Again with the humor! Love that cowbell gif. Will Ferrell gets a gold medal in the goofball olympics.

TG: You think that's weird, try getting your ears around the reggae version of "Jingle Bells", It really exists! Dashing through the snow in Jamaica? I think the last time it snowed in Jamaica was when a snow cone machine blew up.
Blogger Elliot, at 9:04 AM  

Say sump-tun