Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Friday, November 03, 2006

Taking the Friday Train

So today's word is "train". I got ahead of myself, got all visionary and stuff and went ahead and just wrote a train bit last week. Speaking of visionary, I'm reminded of a Stephen Wright quote, where he said: "I'm a peripheral visionary. I can see into the future, but only way off to the side."

Anyway, though I sent in my entry early, I'm still going to contribute today because I'm feeling all levititious, which is much better than I felt yesterday. I was pretty grounded. It was one of those days where you wonder if there's any Prozac in the first aid cabinet, and you go to look, and of course there is none, but you actually think that might be something to suggest in the next meeting.

So,first, in honor of the word "train", I got up today and listened to "Train, Train" by Blackfoot ("Train, train. Take me on out of this town"), "Train in Vain" by the Clash ("Stand by me, or not at all"), "Stop That Train" by Bob Marley ("Some live in big, but most live in small") and "Breakdown" by Jack Johnson ("I hope this old train breaks down, then I could take a walk around").

And, then, I opened up my journal, my train of thoughts, and I thought I'd invite you for a ride by excerpting it here. In my journal, I write as a guy named Ignatious Abalone, and all he does is just drive around and observe stuff and try to write the story of it. He's a hobo on the train of life. Here are some of his ramblings:

Drive anywhere, all where, until the road signs no longer make sense. From the car, I saw a roadside sign that read "Good Luck Comets and Mules". I thought, "Yes, good luck. But, what about the oranges?"
-----
They call them vast skies, the torrent under which she lives. She wishes for hurricanes and meteors because that would be a relief, a calming of sorts. The stimulation is sometimes too great and she must dig a hole a thousand memories deep to hide within. So sad. And, yet, so much like forgiveness.
----
They resided somewhere between black and white. Heaven gave them the tools to be of great influence. Sometimes, they spoke like prophets and, other times, they spoke like fools. No one could tell the difference.
----
Observation: An old lady was sitting at a table and her face looked like her thoughts were frozen in 1960. As I passed near her, a man behind me said: "She's a hypochondriac." The girl with him then said, "Oh, then we should walk the other way."
----
There are tests everyday for which there is the feeling that no study was ever formally undertaken. However, know that life to that point was actually the study and to pass the test only means to include oneself fully in the test.
-----
Across the silent water to talk to a boy that she loved. There was always water, deep, but receptive, no danger--you are always boyant. Water simple--we ramble past explanation and land at the shore where the winds pick up as the sun goes down and fathers stand with their children, pulling aloft kites that slice the breezes.



Choo, choo...!
Elliot, 6:50 AM

8 Back at me:

Ok, impart to me how in the heck do you get your brain to do that? To write such fantastical stuff? To let go and be open and well just read what you wrote for whoever's sake - its incredible.
Blogger Lynnea, at 10:48 AM  
I love trains! Model railroading was a passion of mine when I was much younger - I may take it up in my retirement... when the house is paid for and that mortgage payment can go toward the hobby!
Blogger Turtle Guy, at 2:40 PM  
I'm with Maggie. How? Levititious is a delicious word. And Ignatious Abalone's ramblings...they're so surreal.
Blogger Lucia, at 6:22 PM  
I love how you write.

Choo on that.
Blogger Sarah Elaine, at 4:45 PM  
Or you could have just listened to Train. Alive at Last or Drops of Jupiter is a good album too.

You write very well....even in peripheral vision.
Blogger Jenn, at 7:10 PM  
Did you also Take The A Train? Love how your mind works!
Blogger Gwynne, at 9:46 PM  
Daaaamn...that's beautiful!
Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 7:14 AM  
Thanks for the props, ya'll. Warms me up.

Ignatious, however, just snatched the journal away from me and told me to mind my own mind. I said that he WAS my mind, and then he said, well, if that's the case, then I'm leaving...
Blogger Elliot, at 9:17 AM  

Say sump-tun