Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Friday, December 29, 2006

The Jeremiah Journeys

I was thinking--a dangerous thing indeed, and one which causes my left eye to twitch uncontrollably--how I could cut my travel bill down immensely.

This has been a humbling, and slightly sad holiday year for me, due to job insecurity. I'm used to taking the whole last part of December off, through New Years, to travel with my family to go visit my folks, go to Did-neyland, or even to someplace tropical, like Tijuana. But, this year, I stayed home, worked a lot, and got holiday greetings from my friends who got to go to tropical places and officially licensed theme parks.

But, I've got an idea for some cheap, fun travel. I was thinking, to start the journey, I take a photo of myself smiling so big that my lips meet at the back of my head, and send it to an out-of-state friend. I instruct that friend to prop my portrait up near some famous tourist landmark in their town, and take a photo of MY portrait at that famous landmark. The landmark should be clearly seen, so, for instance, if my friend is in Miami, it has to be obvious it's Miami because you can clearly see a mugging going on in the background, with South Beach art deco hotels as a backdrop.

Then, I'd tell my friend to send me the photo that they took, and then send my portrait to another friend of theirs, and tell them to repeat the process--prop me up near a landmark, shoot me, email me the resulting shot, send my portrait to one of thier out-of-state friends, and tell them to repeat the process. And so on, and so on...

I'm sure that there will always be a place for my portrait to go, and I will collect numerous photos of me in exotic to frightening locales. And, as I "travel", I'm sure my photo will get progressively more mangled, giving me that "weary world traveller" look that I usually get anyway after two weeks on the road with kids.

My compensation to the myriad photographers will be that I will publish a blog called The Jeremiah Journeys where I will post the photos, credit the photographer, and even include whatever words the photographer wanted to say about the shot, me, or my goofy ideas.

Who knows where I'll end up? Maybe back where I started, all wrinkled, torn at the edges, smeared with who-knows-what, and smelling a little funny, but still grinning like I had toothpicks lodged in my gums.

Labels:

Elliot, 8:48 AM

5 Back at me:

fab idea! we always stay home this time of year, and while I enjoy hunkering down while others brave the roads and airports, your prescribed way leaves the trudging and sludging to far flung souls already planted...

btw... how's that left eye?
Blogger ipodmomma, at 1:00 PM  
Love the idea. If you'd like to visit Quebec - just let me know!
Blogger Lynnea, at 11:28 AM  
This is a great idea! Better than photoshopping yourself into fabulous locales!
Blogger Lucia, at 2:29 PM  
When you think of ending up wrinkled, torn at the edges and so forth, reflect on your absolute brilliance.

Have you ever thought of starting your own series of travellog films?
Blogger Turtle Guy, at 3:44 PM  
DO THIS! I will be happy to participate!
Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 8:39 AM  

Say sump-tun