Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Friday, March 02, 2007

Hiding Out

I see the Friday word is "hide" and that's appropriate, if not a little like somebody's trying to tell me something.

But, yeah, I'm hiding. I've got so much work to do and be responsible for and I'm trying to hide in my own hide, slipping around like a cat, visions of other people actually just a jungle overhead, in whose shadows I can creep. Someone says hello and I hide behind the air molecules, hoping they won't see me. Of course, they do, so I say words that relate to something about what I'm working on and I hide behind the sentences. They all seem to make sense, but I'll forget them as soon as the intruder leaves. What did I just say? Did it make sense? When they turned the corner, did they roll their eyes?

So, I go to my desk, look out of the window at the glass in the window facing me from across the atrium, and I see the outlines of people hunched and leaning at a meeting and I feel sorry for them because they can't hide in a meeting. I know. I've tried. But someone says, "we need an update" and I'm discovered, and I have to hide my shyness and speak something, without a waver in my voice, which itself had to come out of hiding, where it was trying to sleep amongst my daydreams.

And, of course, I hide right here. Right behind Jeremiah. He's a gracious lad, allowing me to occupy his space, use his face, move his fingers and reveal his thoughts. Our agreement is that if I promise to make him look interesting, fill him with breath and insight, then he'll continue to let me hide in him. If I should buck the contract, though, he'll step aside, and there I'll be.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the Jeremiah!" I'll scream. But, too late, there I'll be. In all my glory. Dr. Jeremiah, and Mr. Hide.
Elliot, 7:48 AM

4 Back at me:

I am as always, after reading your posts, silent with amazement. Even in mirth you command words to the point of poetry and make them dance in my head. And the punchline - Dr. Jeremiah, Mr. Hide - colleagues of prose.
Blogger Lynnea, at 8:40 AM  
I don't want to gush, but it's in my nature...I SOOOO love your posts! I know it's hard to post sometimes, with work and kids and stuff in the mix, but just know it gives me a tremendous thrill when you do post!
Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 8:56 AM  
There you are! Where have you been HIDE-ing?
I know that life gets in the way of living. It's a pain.
I like the idea of hiding at a meeting, but it never worked for me either.
Blogger meno, at 4:07 PM  
I don't think we're in Seattle anymore, Turtle...
Blogger Turtle Guy, at 7:57 PM  

Say sump-tun