Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Jeremiahisms, Part 1

Though I've posted audio entries before, I don't think that any of you have ever actually spoken to me (though, the Turtle Guy has messaged me, which, in this modren world, is actually pretty close to the same thing as real conversation, including the lack of punctuation marks). I say "I don't think" because, it's possible that I've run into Meno or Maggie or even Emma during my retail employee days on a popular street in a popular store in the Emerald City. I know for a fact that one of Maggie's favorite bookstores was right around the corner from where I worked, and that store's owner visited my work often, and I visited her store even oftener. So, I bet I passed you Maggie, underneath those bubbles.

Anyway, since I've probably not spoken to you, you likely don't know that I have several dozen "Jeremiahisms" that I spout, that are not necessarily original, but they do pepper my conversation and distinguish me a bit. I thought I'd share a few with you, since you don't get to hear them live. Who knows? One day you'll be on a bus talking to this weirdo and he'll say one of these things and you'll suddenly exclaim: "Jeremiah! Why, YOU'RE Jeremiah! Wow. I always imagined you to be taller. And with more teeth..."


What I say: "Cah, ya know…"
What it means: A slurred version of "Because, you know…"
Where I got it from: Bob Marley said it in an interview.
Why it stuck: It's beautifully redolent of the loose lifestyle and leisurely sounds of the Caribbean.
Used in conversation: "I won't be moving soon, cah, ya know, I'm pretty comfortable right here with my wine."


What I say: "Yes, I!"
What it means: "You better believe it!" or "I whole-heartedly agree!"
Where I got it from: Jamaican slang--usually Rastafarian
Why it stuck: Great, exuberant way to relay my satisfaction that something really hits me personally.
Used in conversation: You say: "Hey, Jeremiah. You look pretty relaxed there." I say: "Yes, I!"


What I say: "You can smell it all over Manhattan."
What it means: "This situation/odor/attitude/idea stinks."
Where I got it from: The Rolling Stones tune "Shattered."
Why it stuck: Very well describes how bad something stinks, either odorously, or onerously.
Used in conversation: "That was a bad meeting. I could smell it all over Manhattan."


What I say: "Well, as they say in [fill in the blank with a random locale], [fill in the blank with a mundane saying]. For example, "Well, as they say in Las Vegas, 'See you later!'" or "As they say in Philadelphia, 'Let's go.'"
What it means: It's a play on people who like to quote local wisdom to seem, I don't know, homespun or worldly, or whatever.
Where I got it from: I think I made it up...the parody part of it, I mean.
Why it stuck: It makes me laugh to mistakenly assign a popular saying to a particular locale where it likely didn't come from and is likely not particular to. And, it puzzles people. They either look at me like I have my facts seriously mixed up, or they look at me like they're actually wondering if the phrase "See you later" really once was particular to Las Vegas.
Used in conversation: Well, I think you get the point. So, like they say in South Dakota, "I'll drop the subject."


What I say: "Pretty decent, I must say!"
What it means: It's my stock response to "How are you doing today?" whenever a cashier or clerk asks me.
Where I got it from: Martin Short's Ed Grimley character, who used to say this when he was asked how he was doing.
Why it stuck: When said in a jolly tone, with a goofy waggle of the head (just like Ed Grimley used to do), it's funny, and it is the last thing people expect to come out of me. Also, it breaks the monotony of saying "I'm okay, and you?"
Used in conversation: As described above. Sometimes, I add an extra "I must say!" for effect, I must say.
Elliot, 5:58 AM

9 Back at me:

oh Ed Grimley!!! haven't thought about old Ed in years....
Blogger ipodmomma, at 12:36 PM  
I might just have run into you and not know it. I'm full of Emmaisms, too. People laugh at me a lot. At me, not with me.

I like your Jeremiahisms. I think it would make a great meme. Don't you?
Blogger Jenn, at 4:30 PM  
As they say in Seattle, you made me laugh.

Dude!
Blogger meno, at 6:31 PM  
Lots of wonderful 'isms' there, my friend! Speak up, and Speakon!

(see if you can catch the industry link here... hint: you may want to Google "Speakon" and you may be pleasantly surprised that it just might have something to do with wires, sound, electronics and so forth!)
Blogger Turtle Guy, at 9:28 AM  
We must totally hang out sometime!

And you should do an audio post...c'mon, it's been a loooong time since I've heard your mellifluous tenor!
Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 4:11 AM  
Oh the bubbles! I bet we did pass each other at some time. But I don't remember ever talking to someone who said things like this. Which means, we probably didn't talk.

Echoing Mona - do an audio. C'mon you know you want to.
Blogger Lynnea, at 7:22 AM  
Ipod: I loved ole Ed. Still my favorite Martin Short character. The nervous CEO thing he did is a close second...

Emma: Don't make me meme youyou, now.

Meno: My kids are very tired of my "As they say ins..." but I can't stop, as they say in...

TG: Ah, so it does. And, it also looks like there's a device for accessibility uses also called SpeakOn.

Mona: Well, you know, I have been playing with podcasting. As well as just about every other form of media, which in essence means, nothing gets finished! I'll aud-post soon...

Maggie: At least we'll always have the bubbles :)
Blogger Elliot, at 9:39 AM  
If you dodo, I'll doit doit.

I'd love to hear you sing.
Blogger Jenn, at 12:49 PM  
Ed. Oh, the memories. Audio post? Mellifluous tenor? Hmmm. Glad I followed Meno's link.
Blogger shara, at 9:46 PM  

Say sump-tun