Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Friday, August 03, 2007

Sentenced to a Sentence

Okay, so here is how I plan to become a bettah bloggah. I got this idea--okay, COMPLETELY STOLE--this idea from a site called onesentence.org. All the entries on this site are simply ONE sentence long. All the contributors need to do, is to tell their stories "briefly. Insignificant stories, everyday stories, or turning-point-in-your-life stories, boiled down to their bare essentials."

I have tried this and it is a remarkable way to focus your thinking. If you can distill your day, your thoughts, your fleeting fantasies and your harsh realities into one sentence, then you've actually come a long way toward training yourself as a writer to only say the essential thing that your mind is trying to form, to only create a diamond from the coal of experience (wince). Of course, with this discipline mastered, you can then move on to two sentences, five sentences, a page, a story, all rendered in intense, probing sentences that could actually hurt (so good) to read in succession.

Not to say I'll come anywhere near delivering that sort of visceral experience, but I will write a sentence a day to, at least, keep myself in practice. Now, what the onesentence.org site doesn’t explore is the sentence itself. A sentence need only have a subject and a verb, like "Work sucks.", and, actually, it can just be a minor sentence, like "Hey!" or it can be some labyrinth of stream of consciousness thought process a la Virginia Woolf. Or, it can be some James Joyce-ian pastiche of literary, societal, and mythical reference that only makes sense to a handful of people. Whatever. Depending on my mood, my sentence may be any of those, or may be some style I completely make up (or STEAL).

So, yeah. A sentence a day is all I'm putting myself on the hook for. This ought to get me blogging more, so that I can again annoy you on a daily basis. All I will assure is that the sentence will be real, in that, it will actually apply to some experience I had during that day. And, it may be some cop-out like "Dude!" (I promise I won't do that too often) to today's initial (reach of a) sentence:

"My cat jumped from my second story window and landed in the clump of Jacob's Ladder flowers and not against the corner of the window boxes jutting from the first floor windows, thereby sparing her life and, when we retrieved her, we figured she'd go nowhere near that window again, however, the first thing she did when she came back in was to rush to the exact spot she had fallen from."
Elliot, 7:51 AM

1 Back at me:

Dude!! highly thought provoking! when I find a thought, I'll provoke you with it.

meanwhile... I'm stealing this from my friend Cat:

I'm only as happy as my unhappiest child...
Blogger ipodmomma, at 8:52 AM  

Say sump-tun