Jeremiah's School of Levitation

Upsy-Daisy!

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Avast! A Wee Bit of the Pleurisy, He Has

Today (urgh) not much writing (ackee!) is going to happen (oof!) because I have a case of pleurisy, which, according to the Mayo clinic "occurs when the double membrane (pleura) that lines the chest cavity and surrounds each of your lungs becomes inflamed (their words)" and "feels like someone is slamming a big, wet sea bass into your sternum at 50 mph (my words)."

This pain is somewhat (veeep!) random, though I can count on it happening when I move, even if when typing, I move my hands too much (gish!). But, even when perfectly still, the speeding fish will get me at any special time, without (teeek!) provocation.

Years ago, when I first contracted this wonderful thing, I'd never heard of pleurisy. So, when my doctor said I had it, I thought I'd somehow contracted some ancient ailment that I thought went out with Blackbeard the pirate, or something.

"Pleurisy?" I said to the doc. "Didn't we eradicate that about 300 years ago? What's the treatment? You going to bleed me?"

Turns out, of course, I was just delirious and that, actually, pleurisy is quite common, even if you aren't a pirate.

So, I'm going to take some pain (whooop!) killers and get back to levitating sometime tomorrow because (uhhh!) it hurts to hold up that umbrella ... (guh!!).

Labels:

Elliot, 11:06 AM

8 Back at me:

I had the same reaction when my doctor told me I had a goiter. I said, "But isn't that for OLD people? Like in Little House on the Prairie"? Alas, he didn't find it funny. Y'know if ya got scurvy, then ya'd be a real pirate, matey. Scurvy and Pleurisy, the perfect combo!
Blogger Mona Buonanotte, at 11:56 AM  
OHHH, you are blogging yet again and I have to catch up.

I hope you are feeling better. My step-mom had the same but they determined it was from swimming. In the 50s and 60s they called it swimmer's lung but no matter what it's called it sounds terrible. Get well soon!
Blogger Jenn, at 4:32 PM  
Pleurisy, seriously? Hmm.
Blogger flutter, at 5:37 PM  
I had that meself once ter pon a time. Yer right, ye are matey, it be a painful thing.

Take good care of those lungs and rest. Your body needs it.

Do the painkillers give you artificial levitation?
Blogger Lynnea, at 7:20 PM  
a friend in the UK had it. I too thought it was something long gone...

take it easy there and thinking wild pirate thoughts for you!
Blogger ipm, at 7:11 AM  
I can't answer as i think i have the vapors.

Fell better.
Blogger meno, at 5:28 PM  
When you are well enough or drugged enough, look around the web for the Fish-slapping song from the Spamalot soundtrack.

Oh, it might be called the Finland Fish-slapping song.

Only don't listen to it if you are not well enough to laugh.
Blogger Biscotto, at 9:53 AM  
Mona: Scurvy! That was the joke I was looking to write! I'm tellin' ya, we should collaborate...

Emma: Yeah, and as soon as I start up again, the pleural gods attack. I better not stop and start again. I'll probably contract smallpox or something.

Flutter: Serioulsy pleurisy, apparently.

Maggie: Ohhh, painkillers! Come give me a hug, painkillers! You know Jeremiah-kins luuuves you!

IPM: Maybe I'm the last to catch it. Maybe I'm taking the bullet for the rest of the world. I'd like to think that.

Meno: Burn some sage in your sickroom, let a cup of blood from yourself every six hours, and do not speak for three days. The vapors should flee presently.

Biscotto: Welcome to the School! And, yes, I should wait awhile before I laugh again, which is why I'm watching only Pauly Shore movies to ensure that I won't run into anything funny.
Blogger Elliot, at 12:21 PM  

Say sump-tun